Posted on August 26th, 2017
Filed under: — Karl Olson @ 12:00 am
I’m Karl Olson, and I’m a software developer, a musician/producer and an animation website moderator/staff writer.
If you want to know about my career in software, just check my LinkedIn.
Musically, I focus on Nerdcore HipHop, though I also do a lot of Drum n’ Bass, Minimal Techno, Big Beat, Ambient, Trap EDM and Vaporwave. I finished my most recent full-length Nerdcore Rap LP, Just You Wait And See in 2020.
Meanwhile, I occasionally work as a moderator and staff writer at ToonZone, an animation news and discussion site, as I’m a rather knowledgeable anime and manga fan. I’ve made a lot of good friends through this work, and it’s kept my writing skills sharp.
You know what, maybe these interviews, media mentions and reviews of my CDs can explain at least some aspects of me better:
- Nerdazine gives Variable Undefined an 8/10, comparing me to Drake & 6LACK.
- Dying of Exposure dares the listener to challenge their aesthetic preferences and gives Variable Undefined a B+ and a video review!. There’s also an interview at the bottom of the blog link!
- Geek-E Inc. Learns to Love Trap-style Rap production via my album Null Signifier, giving the album a solid 9/10!!
- The Unheard Nerd really, really enjoys Unwarranted Self Importance.
- Fandomania also finds Unwarranted Self Importance to be a great album.
- Hipster Please Finds my album Animatic to be a mixed bag.
- Exclaim.ca on the other hand reviews Animatic rather positively.
- The Unheard Nerd agrees more with Hipster Please’s assessment of Animatic
- Hipster Please briefly reviews Storyboard: The Animatic Mixtape.
- Jeff Nau on The Jace Hall Show perhaps confuses Hit Points for Hewlett Packard, but otherwise gives me huge props.
- Nerdcore Now interviews me about my upcoming projects.
- Hipster Please reviews Romance Language 2
- Nerd Lust reviews The Free Estate, the cut-down, freeware version of The Fourth Estate
- Talk With Tim recommends The Cliche Remix LP
- Wired’s GeedDad Blog also recommends The Cliche Remix LP
- Hipster Please reviews The Fourth Estate
- Chocolate Lemon reviews The Fourth Estate
- Hipster Please reviews Opensource Lyricist
- Pure Defect reviews Opensource Lyricist
- GaijinSide reviews Opensource Lyricist
- Hipster Please reviews Romance Language
- Hipster Please interviews Karl Olson
- The Jibsheet, Bellevue Community College’s student newspaper, reviews revision4920
- EMU SkateZine interviews Karl Olson: Interview Pt.1 Interview Pt.2 Cover Index
If you’re more audio/visually inclined here’s some select performance and interview footage:
- 12-13-09: Ultraklystron performs at the Jewel Box, again
- 9-6-09: Ultraklystron tears it up at the Mega64 booth
- 7-31-09: Ultraklystron performs at the Blue Moon Tavern
- 5-3-09: Ultraklystron in the studio
- 6-12-08: Ultraklystron performs at the Jewel Box Theater
- 6-12-08: Atomic Town interviews Karl Olson amongst other more famous people
- 8-11-07: Ultraklystron & friends on SpikeTV’s GameHead (look at 4:40)
- 5-10-07: Nerdcore News interviews Karl Olson amongst other more famous people
- 1-13-07: Geek Entertainment TV talks to Ultraklystron and Nursehella at CES2007.
- 1-13-07: Ultraklystron and Nursehella perform at the Beauty Bar in Las Vegas
- PAX2005 – 1UP interviews Ultraklystron along with other convention goers: video 1 – video 2
Here are the documentaries that have some me in them:
And this book has some quotes from me in it:
As far as other notable personal achievements are concerned: I’ve done remixes of mc chris and MC Frontalot songs. I’ve done a commentary included on the Sealab 2021 Season 3 DVD Boxset. A review of mine is quoted on the back of volume 5 of the single disc release of Spiral. Another review of mine was quoted in on the official US website of Princess Jellyfish after having been used by the US publisher as a means of gauging fan-interest in the title via their Facebook page. I wrote a review of Half-Life 2 for the English-Language edition of Joong-Ang Daily Newspaper. My early Electronica songs had been downloaded over 100,000 times before I graduated high school. I’ve been interviewed by a couple Canadian college radio programs. I was rated as the 10th best Nerdcore artist on a survey at Hipster, Please. I also did a freestyle on SpikeTV’s GameHead after having rapped at Capcom’s Booth at the San Diego Comic Convention. I ended up shooting some video footage that ended up on the PAX2007 DVD which resulted in a special thanks in the credits of one the segments. I’m also in two different documentaries about the Nerdcore scene, and that resulted in being referenced in and my music getting used in an episode of PRI’s To The Best Of Our Knowledge.
No comments yet.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.